Monday 1 December 2014

Workshop 3 - Phrase Development/Extension

Sub-Question 1: How does the body respond when contrasting a dynamic?


[ THE PLAN ]
Within this workshop I wanted to explore the base phrase created in workshop 2 the previous week, by looking at ways of extending and developing the material. I wanted to allow my intern to input creative ideas alongside mine, and together create at least 34 counts to add to the phrase. From this I then planned for the phrase to be recorded, and for me and my intern to sit down and take notes on our performance of it.

[ WHAT HAPPENED ]
When entering the studio we realised that yet again, there are quite a few others in the space, so we bared this in mind when thinking of video recording the phrase at the end of the session. We sat down and discussed the aims of the day and then got right to it. We both started thinking of different dynamics that we could look at when creating, and from this started creating movement. for example I chose rebounding to look at and my intern chose twisting. After coming to what seemed like the right place to stop, we both marked the material on our own and then asked someone in the studio to record the phrase. We then discussed and shared our thoughts with each other and a few of our peers to receive feedback.

[ FINDINGS ]
Within this workshop I have found that it is possible to stay focused whilst others are in the same space as you, I have enabled myself to be considerate towards the others in the space whilst still being able to use as much of the studio as possible and find the courage to ask for advice and criticism from peers. Finding new movement material to add to my vocabulary has helped me to realise what else I can utilise when it comes to my body and moving in a certain way. And finally how I can effectively teach a material to others whilst learning from them at the same time.

[ EVIDENCE ]
See below some images and a link to video footage of the phrase.
Workshop 3 - Phrase Development








[ EVALUATION ]
In this workshop I feel that I was able to work to a better standard than I expected of myself, pushing through and concentrating on what I wanted to get done and focusing on how I could do so. My intern was also in the right frame of mind and this helped for us to both effectively create material that would be a good starting point to develop onto the base phrase. I do feel though that we could have spent more time refining the material, I feel that we knew the phrase but not confidently enough to perform it any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment