Friday 19 December 2014

Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker

Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker - ballet.co.uk, 2003, Gerard Uferas, 

Keersmaeker is one of the most well known choreographers in contemporary dance, beginning her career in 1982 with the piece Fase, she soon after founded her own dance company Rosas in 1983 whilst at the same time premièring her work Rosas Danst Rosas. These two works escalated her to fame quickly within the dance world, and have been re-staged many times. Currently, Keersmaeker has been re-analysing her work, looking back to the basics such as time and space, how the body moves, its voice and its relation to the world.

Through observation of Keersmaeker's works I have found that she uses a similar dynamic style to what I am mainly using in my creative process. As you can see from Rosas Danst Rosas; there is a lot of slow sustained or still movement which suddenly becomes heavy or sharp. Like in my investigation there are a lot of components of her work to do with speed dynamics, and this is why I have chosen to look to her for inspiration and research.

There are some primitive links between Keersmaekers use of dynamics and my own within this project, the way I have chosen to explore and move seems to have a clear connection with the way she tends to move. As seen in her works you can see how their bodies move in a soft to hard dynamic quality, which relates to what my research intern and I were exploring in workshop 1 (See Workshop 1).

Rosas Danst Rosas 1
Rosas Danst Rosas 2
Rosas Danst Rosas 3

No comments:

Post a Comment