Monday 8 December 2014

Workshop 5 - Layered Dynamics

Sub-Question 3: How can I articulate the body fully in detail through the use of layered dynamics?


[ THE PLAN ]
In this workshop I planned that we would look at how dynamics can be layered across different body parts, and how this effects movement and its qualities. I wanted to start by going through a list of body parts that could be articulated separately at different speeds, and see how that could bring ideas for movement material. After this I wanted myself and my intern to create a short phrase each, working with this idea of layered dynamics. Once finished I wanted us to share our material and teach it to one another, so that we could both gain an understanding of it, and how we could use it within the piece. Once completed I planned for us to discuss and take note of how the process went.

[ WHAT HAPPENED ]
Entering the studio I felt good about the workshop, as previously I had some critiques that helped lead me to undertake this workshop. Receiving feedback really helped me to realise what else I could do with my work, and how I could bring that into my workshops. I sat down with my intern and we discussed how we would approach the session, thinking about the dynamic layering etc, and then we made a start. We each played around with what body parts we could utilise individually at different paces to see what we could come up with, and eventually started setting material. Once we had begun setting material we looked at Laban's eight basic effort actions to explore the material in more depth, allowing us to have a greater understanding of the movement. After we had a small phrase we taught and were taught the phrases by one another. After this we had a discussion and wrapped up the workshop.

[ FINDINGS ]
Within this workshop I found that criticism can really go a long way, looking at what I could achieve from thinking more outside of the box amazed me. It was clear that through layering dynamics and looking at Laban's eight basic effort actions I was able to come up with more interesting movement which I wouldn't have thought of before, and this gave me a push to want to try more unique things.

[ EVIDENCE ]
See below some images and links to video footage of this workshop.
Workshop 5 - Layered Dynamics
Workshop 5 - Layered Dynamics 2



[ EVALUATION ]
I believe that this workshop has been one of my most successful so far, I feel as though I was able to explore movement at a deeper level than before, and the material I am finding is a lot more interesting too.
Coming out of the workshop the only thing I would have liked to have done is spend more time on it, as I feel there is even more I could do by working in this way. Aside from that I am very pleased with the outcome of this session, and I feel that in the future I will use some layering as part of every creative project/task I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment