Thursday 27 November 2014

Workshop 2 - Phrase Creation

Sub-Question 1: How does the body respond when contrasting a dynamic?


[THE PLAN]
Within this workshop I wanted to create a phrase which again, thinks of contrasting dynamics. I wanted to keep going with the fast/slow dynamics and so I planned that we would use this as a template for the phrase. From this I then wanted to perform the phrase to each other individually, giving feedback and constructive criticism on what we felt looked good/could be reworked within the phrase. I then wanted to have a discussion on the workshop to see how my intern found the process.

[ WHAT HAPPENED ]
Beginning the workshop I feel we were distracted at first, as there were a large amount of people in the studio space at once. However, after a discussion of what the plan for the day was; we knuckled down and started creating. Beginning the phrase we both thought of some movements we could draw out slowly but could end with a quick stop, we then kept going with this idea and continued thinking of movements we could draw out but then just suddenly stop, this is how we came up with the bulk of the material. We took turns in sharing ideas and continuously expanded on the phrase until we got to a point where we felt we could stop and share. After sharing we discussed and fed-back to each other, giving details on what we could improve etc, and then wrapped up the workshop with by reflecting upon it.

[ FINDINGS ]
Through this workshop I enabled myself to build some repertoire to explore and play with, as well as gaining a clearer understanding of how it feels to move within a phrase of movement when contrasting dynamics. I found that there are key differences between how two different people can embody the same movement material, and by seeing these differences I can educate myself to improve or build upon how I move individually.

[ EVIDENCE ]
See below for some video footage of my research intern and I performing the phrase we created.

Research Intern performing the phrase.



Me performing the phrase.


[ EVALUATION ]
Throughout this workshop I feel that most of what I aimed to achieve came to fruition, although I feel there is some room for improvement. I would have liked for the phrase to be longer in length and contain more complex movement, however I found it hard to concentrate with a lot of people in the room with us. I believe the aims of the workshop were still met, just not to as great of a quality as I would have liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment